CIBA Vision Statement
The Purpose of the California Indian Basketweavers Association is to preserve, promote and perpetuate California Indian basketweaving traditions. ClBA accomplishes this in the following ways:
- By promoting and providing opportunities for California Indian Basketweavers to pursue the study of traditional basketry techniques and forms, and to showcase their work.
- By establishing rapport and working with public agencies and other groups in order to provide a healthy physical, social, cultural, spiritual and economic environment for the practice of California Indian basketry.
- By increasing California Indian access to traditional cultural resources on public and tribal lands and traditional gathering sites, and encouraging the reintroduction of such resources and designation of gathering areas on such lands.
- By raising awareness and providing education for Native Americans, the public, public agencies, arts, educational and environmental groups of the artistry, practices and concerns of Native American Basketweavers.
- By promoting solidarity and broadening communication among Native American Basketweavers and with other indigenous traditional artists.
- By monitoring public and private land use and encouraging those management practices that protect and conserve traditional Native resources.
- By monitoring and discouraging pesticide use in traditional and potential gathering areas for the safety of weavers, gatherers. and others in tribal communities.
- By doing all of the above in a manner which respects our Elders and Mother Earth.
Call for Donations
CIBA could use your help!
Would you be willing to help support our organization? We would welcome your contribution.